Open source software development (OSS) is a process that helps developers create an open source software. This software is available with its source code and under an open source license. Developers working on the software can help and support each other better the existing software available to them and develop an extraordinary solution with their team effort. Examples of open source software are Mozilla Firefox, Google Chromium and Android.
Open source development software works on the principle of peer production by bartering and collaboration with the end-product, source-material, blueprints and documentation available free to the public. This is increasingly being applied in fields like biotechnology.
Open source and free sharing of technology is no new idea. In fact this concept existed even when there were no computers. . For instance cooking recipes have been shared since the beginning of human culture. Open source can relate to businesses and to computers, software and technology.
IBM’s source release of its operating systems and programs in the 1950’s and 1960’s and the SHARE user group that formed to facilitate the exchange of software is an early example of open source in technology and IT sector.
Popular open source products are:
- Joomla Customization
- Mambo Customization
- Drupal CMS Customization
- Zen Cart Customization
Benefits of using Open source software are:
- Help reduce development time and cost by over 40%
- The software comes with rights to modify.
- They are flexible enough to meet specifics that proprietary licensed software do not permit.
- This software enhances portability.
- There is an availability of quick fixes and feature enhancements.
- There is an availability of large pool of source codes from the Internet.
- OSS is reliable to work on. It means that this software helps reduce defects that cause incorrect operations, data loss or sudden failure.
- OSS is auditable.
Crocussweb Web aims at helping its clients through a range of OSS namely: